Position: Commissioning Editor
Type of Vacancy: Maternity Leave Cover
Reporting to: Director
Gill, Ireland’s leading publisher of educational and trade titles, is seeking a Commissioning Editor for its demanding education department. The successful candidate will undertake research and source the best authors to create market-led proposals to meet Primary and Post Primary classroom needs.
- Work with the Publishing team to evaluate markets and develop lists.
- Undertake market research on specific educational trends, products and subject areas.
- Develop strong links amongst the teaching community and general education sector through networking and attending curriculum meetings, conferences, book fairs and exhibitions.
- Recruit and manage valuable authors and ensure they work to agreed specifications and submission dates.
- When required, manage a team of authors across a series to ensure consistency of approach and quality in submissions.
- Lead and inspire others with innovative, market-led proposals to ensure ‘buy-in’ from all relevant departments.
- Ensure the products created match the proposal specifications required to gain the forecast market share.
- Monitor progress from submission to launch through regular update meetings.
- Work closely with Sales & Marketing in developing new products and evaluating performance after publication.
- Strong personal drive for results, including strong leadership, decision-making and analytical skills.
- The ability to multi-task and work on a number of business-critical projects in similar time frames.
- A genuine interest in educational material and the desire to be involved in the future of the sector.
- The confidence to build relationships with experienced authors, examiners and professional organisations.
- The creative flair to bring the best print and electronic features to our teaching and learning resources for today’s classroom.
- The flexibility required to work successfully within a fast-paced, high-pressured environment.
- Third-Level Qualification.
- Must have an understanding of school curricula and related publishing.
- Relevant experience (editorial/teaching/product development).
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Apply with CV and covering letter by 20 August 2021 to Deborah Marsh at: email@example.com or hard copy to 10 Hume Avenue, Park West, Dublin D12 YV96.